tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 04 08:10:44 2001

RE: KLBC: jIlIH'egh

HurghwI' said:

> "KLBC"na' 'oHnIS QInvam'e' 'e' vISovbejbe'. qatlho', tulughmoHchu'mo'.
> [I wasn't sure if this should be KLBC or not. But thanks for correcting
> me.]
>
> jatlh taD:
> > maj. {HurghwI' vIponglu'pu'} means "I have been called HurghwI'", so
> this
> > works here. But you are correct, {HurghwI' 'oH pongwIj'e'} would also be
> > good.
>
> jImejpu'pa' "transitive" 'oHchu' <<pong>> 'e' ghoHlu'pu'. jIlughbejbe'pu'.
> [Before I had left it was debated whether pong was transitive. I was
> uncertain.]
>
> > The verb {neH} ("want") is a little unusual. It doesn't use the pronoun
> > {'e'}, even if you "want" the previous sentence. So you would just leave
> > out the {'e'} here.
>
> jIDogh. vIlIj.
> [Silly me. I forgot.]

qay'be'.

> > > "Texas"Daq jIyIn, 'ej "UT"Daq 'ul jonwI' "German" je vIHaD.
> > Here, you've said "...and at UT, I study an electricity engineer and
> > German." I'm assuming that you're studying *to become* an electrical
> > engineer. So you could say that you're studying "electricity science"
> and
> > German.
>
> <<'ul jonghach>> rurbogh vIjatlh 'e' vIHech.

Here, when you said {<<'ul jonghach>> rurbogh vIjatlh}, you are trying to
say "I said something that resembles electricity engineering".
Note that there isn't actually a verb {jon} relating to engineering - we
have {jon} ("capture"), and {jonwI'} ("engineer"). However, we can't assume
that there is a present-day word {jon} that is related to engineering. Also,
using the suffix {-ghach} on a bare verb is generally odd and marked to a
Klingon speaker.

Stylistically, it's a good idea to actually include mention the *something*
that resembles electrical engineering.  Rather than just saying {<Electrical
Engineering> rurbogh vIjatlh}, you would say {<Electrical Engineering>
rurbogh vay' vIjatlh}. (This noun is acting as the head noun of a relative
clause) Or, to be more specific, you could use {mu'mey} instead of {vay'}.

> 'ach, bIlugh, <<'ul jonwI' jIHchoHmeH jIHaD. "German" vIHaD je.>> Soy' pup
> law' Hoch pup puS.
> [I meant to say something like "electrical engineing." But, you're right,
> "I'm studying to be an electrical engineer; I'm also studying German"
> would
> be the most correct.]

I don't think that you want the word {Soy'} here. It means "clumsy", and if
you're describing the sentence as clumsy, then the sentence probably *isn't*
the most correct. Also, rather than using an entire sentence as a noun for
the law'/puS comparison, you could just say {mu'tlheghvetlh}. If you need to
specify which sentence is more correct, you could include "When I say 'I'm
studying to be an electrical engineer; I'm also studying German'..."

> > *UT*Daq *physics* HaD je wa' jupwI'.
>
> qayajchu'be'. <<wa' jupwI'>> ghaH 'Iv? Hoch jupwI'?

jup vIghaj, 'ej *UT*Daq *physics* HaD ghaH. *Julie* 'oH pongDaj'e'.

> > > buy'bej lupwIj.
> > This means "My second (of time) is definitely full".
>
> Qu'vatlh! jIghItlhHa'. <<buy'bej lupmeywIj>> vIHechbej.

{Hech} is defined as "intend, mean to", so you would want to say something
such as "I meant to say 'My seconds are full.'", rather than "I meant to 'My
seconds are full'".

Actually, what you wrote was okay - the plural suffixes {-pu'}, {-mey}, and
{-Du'} are optional. So either {lupmeywIj} ("my seconds") or {lupwIj} ("my
second(s)") work fine.
However, what I was trying to say was that a Klingon might not understand
"My seconds are full" as "I am very busy/occupied". It is possible that
{buy'} only refers to physical objects being filled up by another physical
substance (such as a plate or a stomach filled with food). The word {lup}
"second" is used to measure time, but it can't be filled up physically. So
using a different phrase may be better in this case - Perhaps something such
as "I cannot rest; I always need to work."

> chaq <<buy'bej lupmeywIj; verengan qur tepqengwI' rur.>> vIjatlhnIS. qoj
> <<veqlarghmey law'
> Suvbogh wa' loD'e' vIrurlaw'>> vIjatlhlaHpu'.
> [Darn, typo. I meant to say "My seconds are full." Perhaps I ought to have
>
> said "My seconds are as packed as a greedy Ferengi's cargo ship." Or I
> could
> have said "I feel like one man fighting many devils."]

This last example is an interesting metaphor, and would be a good way to
explain how you feel.

- taD