tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 30 21:06:04 2000

Re: pronounciation

ja' Sai, "Ilya" <[email protected]>:

> Hello all. I'll introduce myself later, when I'm done learning TKD.

I suggest that you re-think that a little.  The members of this mailing
list (and the Beginners' Grammarian in particular) are a great resource for
someone who is *in the process of* learning TKD.  If you wait until you're
"done", there will definitely be some parts you think you learned but
didn't, and there will quite likely be some parts you learned incorrectly.
Take advantage of the feedback and introduce yourself now so we can give
you a proper welcome. :-)

> However,
> I had a question: how does one pronounce '' ? (I.e., two ' in a row) Is it
> the same as one '?

I myself pronounce {''} with a definite stop, a definite pause, and a
definite release of the glottis moving into the subsequent vowel.  It
differs from {'} by having a longer time with no air moving.  I *think* I
end up putting more stress on the preceding syllable when it's a double
{''}, and more on the following syllable when it's a single {'}, but I'm
not sure.

ja' Qov, [email protected]:

> Hey, I asked that question in my very first posting to this list:
> /tlhIngan-Hol/1996/April/msg00727.html
>
> You can look at the followups to see what people said then.

Okrand discusses doubled consonants on pages 138 and 139 of Klingon for the
Galactic Traveler.  It seems that "older" Klingons generally take care to
pronounce each sound carefully, while "younger" ones tend to reduce them to
a single sound.  Doubled stops like {pp}, {tt}, and {''} are the most
likely to wind up being reduced; doubled glides and nasals and fricatives
like {ll} and {ngng} and {vv} are most likely to stay doubled.  Losing the
distinct pronunciation of both consonants is definitely considered sloppy
speech, but isn't quite bad enough to be called wrong outright.

Back to archive top level