tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 27 09:56:28 1996

KLBC: naDev jIH tu'lu'

DaH jISo'Ha'rup.

qaSvIStaH tera' DIS wa'SanID Hutvatlh chorghmaH chorgh TKD vIje'.  'oH
vIlaDchu'.  muSey'moHtaH 'oH.  tlhIngan Hol lujatlh ghotpu' 'e'
vInejtaH.  Hol qab lujatlh ghotpu' 'e' vItu'pu'. tlhIngan Hol
luyajbe'law' chaH.  vItunglu'.  mu'ghom vIroQ.

I'd heard of the KLI, but thought it was a joke.  When I received
birthday greetings from the KLI, I replied briefly in rusty Klingon,
but a very busy Dr. Schoen answered back in English without
addressing my question.  My fears about the KLI were confirmed:
clearly no one, not even the director, spoke the language.  However,
I wrote back to Dr. Schoen, and he encouraged me. I renewed my
efforts to learn Klingon.  And here I am.

*Robyn* 'oH pongwIj'e'.  <shining bright with fame> 'oS
<Robyn> 'e' muja' paq vIghajbogh.  *wovwI'* tupong 'e' vItul.
tugh lut vIghItlhbogh SalI'.

I have two specific questions for the pabpo':

1. In Hamlet [lut 'ay' wa', lut 'ay'Hom wa', nav vagh--why no
line numbers?] appears the line <vIHbe' je ghew.>  What does "je"
mean in this context?  I expected <vIHbe' neH ghew>.

2. How do I pronounce doubled stop consonants in Klingon?  When I say
<juppu'> do I spit twice, spit once with added force, or pronounce as
if it were spelled <*jupu'>?  And worse, how do I tackle the double
glottal stop?  There are minimal pairs: <Duy'a'> ambassador and
<Duy''a'> major defect. I have been "bouncing" on the vowel sound,
echoing it after each stop, so that <ro''e'> sounds like
<*ro'o'e'> to distinguish it from <ro'e'>.

wovwI'
Robyn Stewart                  NLK Consultants Inc.
NLK Technical Library          855 Homer Street
[email protected]     Vancouver, BC V6B 5S2 *Canada*

Back to archive top level