tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Sep 30 21:06:51 2000

RE: (KLBC) {-bogh} + Type 5 Noun Suffixes

>> \"In the place I visited there were lots of trees\"
>> ?{DaqDaq vISuchbogh Sor law\' lutu\'lu\'pu\'}

ja' taD:
>Now, how do we put {Daq vISuchbogh} and {Sor law' lutu'lu'} in the same
>sentence? As far as I know, Okrand has never used {-bogh} with type-5 noun
>suffixes, the way you have here.

Actually, he has.  See below.

>We probably would be able to say your
>example, {DaqDaq vISuchbogh, Sor law' lutu'lu'} ("At the place, which I
>visited, lots of trees were found").
>
>So your examples may be fine, but we don't have a definite answer currently.

We do have canonical examples of this use.

The Klingon Way, page 111:
meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH.  "Only a fool fights in a burning house."

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, 1993 Series, card 99, QU' [mission]:
loS... qIb HeHDaq, 'u' SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh lenglu'meH He ghoSlu'bogh
retlhDaq 'oHtaH...

I don't have the official translation handy, but the relevant phrase is
{SepmeyDaq Sovbe'lu'bogh} "to unknown regions".

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level