tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 18 20:40:43 2000

RE: [KLBC] lIH'egh <<quS'a'Qob>>

jatlh quS'a'Qob:

> <<quS'a'Qob>> 'oH pongwIj'e'.  <Alabama> vIDab.  De'wI' ghunwI' jIH 'ej
> yaHwIj vItIv.

maj. This is fine grammatically.
Klingon tends to be action oriented, rather then noun oriented as English
is. So rather than saying {De'wI' ghunwI' jIH} ("I am a computer
programmer"), you might want to say {De'wI' vIghun}. ("I program
computer(s)"). This way, the sentence focuses more on action rather than a
noun.

> muSIghbej vavwI'.  De'wI' cham tIvqu' 'ej jIHvaD De'wI'
> cham SovDaj ghojmoHpu'.

Here we have a problem with {jIHvaD De'wI' cham SovDaj ghojmoHpu'}.
{ghojmoH} is actually {ghoj} ("learn") plus {-moH} ("cause"). So the object
of {ghojmoH} is the person who is being taught, not the information your
father taught you.
As I mentioned in another post, a way to rephrase the sentence is to break
it into two smaller sentences:

{mughojmoHpu'} "He has taught me", or literally, "He has caused me to learn"

{De'wI' cham SovDaj vIghoj} "I learned his knowledge of computer technology"

> qarbej tlhIngan vIttlhegh <<reH DuSIgh
> vavlI'>>.

maj.

> pIjHa' <<Hov leng>> vIbej 'ach tlhIngan tIgh vIHo' vaj SuvwI' Hol
> vIghojchu' vIneH.  majatlhchuqlaHchu' jIH'e' latlh nuv je tlhIngan Hol
> wIlo'taHvIS vIneH.

maj.
The object of {jatlh} is the thing that you are speaking (such as a lecture,
a language, etc.). So when you wrote {majatlhchuqlaHchu'}, it would mean "We
can perfectly speak each other".
The verb {ja'} would be better in this case, since the object of {ja'} is
the person you are telling.
For example:
{maja'chuq} "We discuss", or literally "We tell each other".

> Hol Qupqu' 'oH tlhIngan Hol'e'.

Again, this sentence is grammatically correct. But you can make it more
direct and verb oriented:
{Qupqu' tlhIngan Hol} "The Klingon language is very young"

> reH tlhIngan Hol Sachjaj!

When using {-jaj} to express a wish, the word order is changed to
object-subject-verb (like you've done here) when giving a toast. However,
when you're not actually giving a toast at a banquet setting, the word order
with a {-jaj} verb is the normal object-verb-subject order.
Since you weren't holding up a glass of wine and toasting, you would say
{reH Sachjaj tlhIngan Hol!} ("May the Klingon language always expand!").

majQa'
This was a very nice introduction, with not too many problems. Keep up the
good work!

- taD

Back to archive top level