tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 18 20:27:41 2000

RE: Daj (2)

lay'tel SIvten:
> "to be interesting" is not just a verb; it's "to be" plus an adjective,
> and the adjective happens to be a form (present participle) of the
> transitive verb "to interest".

Qov:
> The key phrase here is "happens to be".  It's just a twist of English
> that this adjective comes froma participle.  Klingon does not have any
> separate verbs to express concepts that are participles in English.
>
> Here's an example:
>
> Daj Suy - "The merchant is interesting."
>
> bu'vaD mIw DajchoHmoHlI' Suy - "The merchant is interesting the
> sergeant in a helmet."

nuqjatlh?  /mIw/ is obviously a typo for /mIvDaq/.  Is the second
sentence supposed to be intentionally erroneous, to show how
even *if* /Daj/ meant "to be *interested*", you would need
different grammar to make "to interest"?  I read it as "The
merchant is causing the sergeant (in a helmet) to become
interesting" -- unless the /-moH/ isn't supposed to be there.

> Is English your first language, SIvten?  The interest/be interesting
> contrast in English seems to confuse a lot of non-native speakers.
> I don't know how many times I have heard sentences like "I am
> interesting in swimming".

DIvI' Hol ghojtaHbogh China-nganpu''e' law' vISov, 'ej pIj Qaghvam
luQagh.
I know a lot of Chinese for whom English is a second language,
and this is a common mistake.

--
De'vID