tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 15 17:01:57 2000

Re: wa' waQ

> > wa' waq "Atlanta" vengDaq jIjaH. Sum gaStaHvIS jav jaj "SPiRaL"Daq
> > juppu' vISuch.
> >
> Watch out for spelling - "one month from now" is {wa' waQ}.

I had transcribed this incorrectly when I made the original note in my TKD.
I have now corrected this.

> {Sum} is a verb meaning "be near". For example, {Sum yIHmey} "The
> tribbles are near" So {Sum} doesn't work for "nearly, almost". Instead,
> there's  the adverbial {tlhoS} ("nearly, not quite, almost, virtually"), which
> appears in the KGT words list. So your second sentence would be:
> {tlhoS qaStaHvIS jav jaj, "SPiRaL"Daq juppu' vISuch.} "For  nearly 6
> days, I visited my friends at SPiRaL."

This is not quite what I was trying to say, which was "For 6 days I will be
visiting my friends nearby at SPiRaL." I incorrectly assumed {Sum} was a
locational adverb like {naDev} and {pa'}. I suppose I might have written this
better as 3 sentences: {wa' waQ "Atlanta" vengDaq jIjaH. Sum "SPiRaL".
qaStaHvIS jav jaj "SPiRaL"Daq juppu' vISuch.}.

Although I understand that my misuse of {Sum} may have been misleading
here, I would have thought that {wa' waQ} would have cast most of the
paragraph as future; I have noticed that {qaStaHvIS} seems to be most
often interpreted as implying past tense (in other posts than these), but I
don't understand why as the verb/phrase has aspect but not tense (which
is supplied by context). Is this a misunderstanding on my part?

> The sentence {pab vIghojmoH} is a bit of a problem. You want to say "I
> teach them grammar", but "them" and "grammar" can't both be the
> object  of {ghojmoH} ("teach"). On page 7 of HolQeD Volume 9 Number
> 1, there are  some suggestions on how to reword this kind of sentence.
> One way would be  to split it into two sentences: {naDev vIghojmoH}
> "I teach them here" or  literally, "I make them learn here" {"Laadan" Hol
> pab lughoj} "They learn  the Laadan language's grammar"

I don't yet own a copy of "HolQed" v.9#1 as it is not yet available from KLI
and my subscription began with v.9#2.

Part of my confusion here arose from having read someone's insistance
that {ghojmoH} means not just "cause to learn" (which is how I initially
interpreted it) but also to "teach". I can say "I teach Terran languages" in
English, but not {tera'ngan Holmey vIghojmoH); since TKD lists {-moH} as
meaning "cause to" rather than "cause", this makes sense. The
insistance that {ghojmoH} means "teach" lead me to re-interpret {-moH} to
mean "cause", which of course makes no real sense in retrospect since
that would require something akin to {tera'ngan Holmey lughojlu' 'e'
vIqaSmoH}.

mIS nejwI'.

nejwI', parmaqqayDaj Heghmo' cha' 'ay' chenmoH'eghta' qa'Daj

Back to archive top level