tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 13 05:48:19 2000

RE: KLBC 20 August 2000 qepHom

jatlh Ron:

> Paoli-PA-Daq juHmaj tu'lu'taH.  pa' 20 August 2000 qepHom wIqaSmoHta'.
> majeSta' 'angghal (Lawrence Schoen), taD (Tad Stauffer), jIH (Ron
> Bushyager) je.

After reading your sentences, it looks like your only problem here is using
aspect suffixes. It looks like you're trying to use them to indicate tense,
which isn't what they are used for. This is a problem that many people have
when dealing with the aspect suffixes.

To refresh everyone's memory, the aspect suffixes are type-7 verb suffixes.
They are {-ta'}, {-pu'}, {-lI'}, and {-taH}. These are described on pages
40-43 of the Klingon Dictionary. They are used to show the completion or
continuation of events; they are not used to show *when* something happened.

For example, your sentence:
> pa' 20 August 2000 qepHom wIqaSmoHta'.
is saying "There on August 20th 2000, we had caused a qepHom to happen". In
other words, you said that as of August 20th, the qepHom was finished - it
might have happened early in the morning of August 20th, or on August 17th,
or someother time.
The {-ta'} here indicates that the event was accomplished/is
accomplished/will be accomplished. Since you put a time (August 20th, 2000)
at the beginning of the sentence, that time is tells when the event
happened.

Look at the difference between these sentences that use {bogh} ("be born")
as the verb:

In these examples, time is used to indicate when the action takes place:
{bogh puq} "The child is/was/will be born."
{wa'Hu' bogh puq} "Yesterday, the child was born."
{DaHjaj bogh puq} "Today, the child is/was/will be born."
{wa'leS bogh puq} ""Tomorrow, the child will be born."

In these examples, aspect suffixes indicate completion:
{bogh puq} "The child is/was/will be born."
{boghpu' puq} "The child has been/will have been born."
{jIcheghDI', boghpu' puq} "When I returned, the child had been born"/"When I
return, the child will have been born."
{boghlI' puq} "The child is being born."

> tlhIngan jatlhmeH QaQ qepHom 'e' lutu'law' 'angghal taD
> je.  ('ej vay' merbe' mu'tlheghvetlh.)

The word {tlhIngan} is only used to refer to the Klingons themselves. To
refer to their language, use {tlhIngan Hol} (literally, "Klingons'
language").

> burger-mey Soj noSlu'bogh je DISop 'ej 'awje' wItlhutlh.

I really like how you used {Soj noSlu'bogh} for "munchies".
{noS} ("nibble"), {Soj noSlu'bogh} ("food that is nibbled")

> qepHomvamDaq SaHlaHbe' Seqram (Mark Shoulson) 'ach
> qaStaHvIS qepHom, ghogh HablI' lo'ta' 'ej majatlh ghaH jIH je 'ej jatlh
> 'angghal ghaH je.  vaj jeSlaH ghoghDaj teSDaj je.  tlhIngan Quj qemta'
> 'angghal.  Boggle rur Qujvam.  luQuj 'angghal taD je.  chaHvaD Holmey
> SaHbogh paqmeywIj'e' vI'ang.  qepHom vItIvpu'.  qepHom lutIvlaw'pu'
> SuchwI'pu'ma'.  Qaplaw'.

Again, you've used the aspect suffixes {-pu'} and {-ta'} to incorrectly
indicate tense here. Other than that, I don't see any problems. A very good
description of the qepHom. vItIvbej!

> taD, QaghmeywIj DatI'qang 'e' vISov 'ej qatlho'.

- taD

Back to archive top level