tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 13 05:49:46 2000

RE: KLBC jIDel'egh

jatlh nejwI':

> jIDel'egh.
>
> "Joseph" 'oH tera'ngan pongwIj 'ach <nejwI'> 'oh tlhIngan pongwIj.

When you have "to be" sentences like these, the second noun gets the suffix
{-'e'}.
For example:

{qoH ghaH HoD'e'} "The captain is a fool."

(Some more examples are on page 68 of TKD)
So your sentence would be:
> "Joseph" 'oH tera'ngan pongwIj'e' 'ach <nejwI'> 'oH tlhIngan pongwIj'e'.
>

> loSmah vagh ben "South Carolina" SepDaq jIbogh.  gaStaHvIS cha'mah
> cha' DIS Sepvelth jIDabpu'.
The verb {Dab} means "reside in/at". You can also think of it as "inhabit".
So, the object of the verb is what you are inhabiting. That means you want
to use the prefix {vI-}, instead of {jI-}, to say "I'm inhabiting *it*":

{Sepvetlh vIDab} "I inhabit that region".

Also, you don't need the aspect suffix {-pu'} here.

{qaStaHvIS cha'maH cha' DIS Sepvetlh vIDab} "For 22 years, I lived in that
region"

Watch out for spelling mistakes. The word {qaS} ("happen, occur") starts
with a q, not a g.

> 'ach jIvqangwI'pu'mo' Sepvelth muSchu'choH.

{-choH} is a type-3 verb suffix, and {-chu'} is a type-6 verb suffix. So
{-choH} should come before {-chu'}.

Who hates the region? If it's you, then you want to use the prefix to
indicate that you're the subject. {vI-} is the prefix that indicates "I -
he/she/it/them".
So you could say:

{Sepvetlh vImuSchoHchu'} "I totally started to hate that region."

> jInenchoHDI' Sepvetlhvo' jIjaHta' rIntaH.

You don't need both {-ta} and {rIntaH} at the same time to indicate
"accomplished, done", since it's sort of redundant. My preference would be
to use {rIntaH}, but you can choose whichever you prefer:
{jInenchoHDI'} "Once I grew up"
{jInenchoHDI' Sepvetlhvo' jIjaH rIntaH.} "Once I grew up, I had gone from
that region."
Or in more colloquial English, "When I got bigger, I left that region for
good."

> cha'maH ben "Georgia" Sep "Atlanta" veng jIDab. wa'maH ben "Seattle"
> veng maDab parmaqqaywI' jIH je. pa' jav ben ropqu'meH Hegh
> parmaqqaywI'. tlhos jIh Qaw'pu' wanI'vam.

Again, since {Dab} means "live at/in, inhabit" you need to use prefixes that
indicate that you are inhabiting something specific.
{veng vIDab} "I live in the city"
{veng wIDab} "We live in the city"

Also, note that you want {mu-} ("It - me") in front of {Qaw'}:
{tlhoS jIH muQaw'pu' wanI'vam} "This event nearly had destroyed me."

> gaStaHvIS wej DIS "Arizona" Sep "Phoenix" veng maDabtaH maqochwI'
> jIH je. Do'Ha' "South Carolina" nuvpu' rurchu' "Phoenix" nuv law'.
>
> nuvpu' lupbogh malja'vad De'wI' patmey vIpoj. Do'Ha' maljavam vu'
> velHa'wI'pu'. QumwI' leHbogh malja'vad ngevwI'pu' ghojmoH maqochwI'.

maj. These sentences are good.  Again, just watch out for spelling mistakes
and using the correct prefixes for {Dab}.

> malja'vad jIvumbe'vIS vangghach law' jItIv.

Whenever you use the suffix {-vIS} ("while"), TKD says that you also need to
use {-taH}.
So the second word would be:

{jIvumbe'taHvIS} "While I'm not working"

When you use {-ghach} on a verb without a verb suffix, then to a Klingon it
sounds unusual.
You could either try using it with a suffix:

{vangtaHghach} "Continuous action/acting"

or think of another way to express "I enjoy many activities".
Maybe {wanI'mey law' vItIv} ("I enjoy many events/occurrences").

> Hew vIchenmoHmeH lam
> QaDHa' vIraQ . pIj paqmey vIlaD. HaSta jabbI'IDmey vIbej. Holmey
> vIHaDqongchu'. "German" "Spanish" "English" "Esperanto" "Laadan" je
> vIyaj. 'ach "Japanese" "Turkish" "Tsalagi" je vIyajchu'be'

maj. Just watch the spelling on the suffix {-qang} ("willing"):
{vIHaDqangchu'}.

> chorgh ben "TKD" paq vIje. 'ach Hut wen muDajchoH chenmoHlu'bogh
> Holmey 'e'.

TKD says {Daj} means "be interesting", not "be interesting to (someone)". So
{muDajchoH} ("It became interesting me") probably won't work. You could
simply say {DajchoH} ("It became interesting").

Also, there shouldn't be a space between the suffix {-'e'} and {Holmey}.
(There's a typo on page 68 of TKD, where there's an extra space between
{qama'pu'} and {-'e'}.)

>  'gaStaHvIS wej jar tlhIngan Hol vIHaDlI'. pIjHa' tlhIngan Hol
> vIHadlaH vaj QIt vIyajchoH. pIj meqvammo' Se'vamDaq jIQumtaHbe'.

maj. Just watch your spelling for {qaStaHvIS}.

> thlIngnan Hol qun vISovjajmeH <Hol Qed>mey ngo' vIlaDta'. tlhos tlhIngan
> Hol QIchmey ngu'chu'be' teSwIjDu' vaj "Conversational Klingon" "Power
> Klingon" vI'IjlI'.

In {vISovjajmeH}, both {-jaj} and {-meH} are type-9 verb suffixes, so you
can't use them simultaneously. {-jaj} is used to mean "May it happen", like
when giving a toast. In this case, however, {vISovmeH} ("so that I know it")
is fine:
{tlhIngan Hol qun vISovmeH,} "So that I know the Klingon language's
history,"
{<HolQeD>mey ngo' vIlaDta'} "I have read old HolQeDs."

> pItlh

majQa', nejwI'.  Although long, this introduction was quite good. It looks
like the main stuff that you should watch out for are verb prefixes and
spelling/capitalization. Overall, good job!

- taD

Back to archive top level