tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 05 13:38:02 2000

Re: voqara bang'a'wIj

Qo`to the Fearless wrote:

: 2 weeks ago a met voqara, a girl with a klingon heart!!!
: and our hearts together will make even the gods tremble!!!!!!

I just noticed something in your Subject line.  Two comments:

1) *NEVER* refer to your {bang} as {bangwIj}!  {-wIj} refers to inanimate
objects; {[-wI'} refers to people.  Okrand discusses this crucial distinction
WRT {joH}:

  "It is grammatically correct to use the regular possessive suffixes
   with nouns referring to beings capable of speech (as in {puqlIj}
   your child), but such constructions are considered derogatory;
   {joHwIj} for 'my lord' borders on taboo". (TKD p.25)

  "Addressing my Lord or my Lady as {joHwIj} rather than {joHwI'} is
   insulting indeed, since it implies that my Lord or my Lady is a
   lower order of being. Similarly, a group of heads of households
   would probably not appreciate being referred to as {joHDu'}, since
   that would be the appropriate way to say Lords or Ladies only if
   they were body parts. The only thing worse would be combining
   mispronunciation with grammatical blundering, such as by saying
   {joQDu'wIj} (my ribs) ... when {joHpu'wI'} (my Lords, my Ladies)
   is intended. Mistakes of this kind are simply not tolerated and
   there are no recorded instances of anyone living long enough to
   repeat the offense." (KGT p.190)

So be careful not to confuse the two with your {bang}... unless, of course,
you're intentionally trying to initiate a mating ritual!  <g>)

2) I assume you intended {bang'a'wI'} to mean something like "my great love,
the love of my life, etc."  I just had a thought:  When Okrand introduced us to
the long awaited {Qun} "god, supernatural being" on startrek.klingon (7/19/99),
he made a comment that may or may not be relevant to {bang}:

  "Though too little is known of ancient Klingon theology, there doesn't
   seem to have been a single {Qun} that stood out from the rest. Indeed,
   the {Qunpu'} appear to have acted collectively... {Qun'a'} 'great god'
   ({Qun} plus {-'a'}, the augmentative suffix) may or may not be an
   appropriate translation for a single supernatural being in a mono-
   theistic system, since the {Qun'a'} would still be one among many."

"... one among many."  Unless Voqara is merely the most important of your many
{bangpu'} - i.e. your "chief love" - it might be best not to say {bang'a'} lest
she read too much into it.  You would be safer with {bangwI' Dun} "my
great/wonderful love" or {bangna'wI'} "my true/genuine/authentic love".

Of course, being safe - particularly in affairs of the heart - is not a Klingon
virtue.  Still, there's a difference between being bold and being stupid.  The
call is yours.

Qapla'!

--
Voragh