tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 05 10:26:12 2000

Re: voqara bang'a'wIj

Qo`to the Fearless wrote:

: I need to translate "I love you all the way"

  qamuSHa'chu'
  (lit. "I un-hate you perfectly")

FYI: Klingon doesn't have a simple verb for "love"; we generally use *{muSHa'},
the apparent opposite of {mus} "hate".  {qa-} is the verb prefix meaning "I [do
something to] you" and {-chu'} a verb suffix meaning "perfectly, well,
thoroughly, etc.".

Another common way of translating "I love you" is to rephrase it and say:

  bangwI' SoH
  "you are my love"

using the noun {bang} "love" (i.e. loved one, lover, etc. - NOT the emotion).
{-wI'} is a possessive suffix meaning "mine" (referring to people) and {SoH} is
the pronoun "you", here functioning as a verb ("you are").  For "all the way"
add the suffix {-na'} "true, unquestioned, genuine, etc." to the noun:

  bangna'wI' SoH.
  You are my true love.

: or even better the whole song of F.Sinatra (Jadzia' favorite song):

Well, I'll let someone with more time tackle this.

Qapla'!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons