tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Oct 22 15:59:02 2000

RE: fractions

ja' Voragh:
>Also, since {Dung} is a noun in Klingon meaning "area above/overhead", not a
>preposition meaning "above" as in English, you would also use {-Daq}:
>
>  "An English preposition need not be a part of the translation.
>   Klingon {Dung} means 'area above', and {DungDaq} is 'overhead',
>   literally something like 'at the area above'." (TKD:27)
>
>Okrand's example:
>
>   nagh DungDaq
>   above the rock (TKD)

I think you're misunderstanding why {-Daq} is being used here.  It's not
added just because there's a "positional" noun like {Dung} involved.  The
example of "overhead" is referring to its adverb-like use as a locative,
thus the {-Daq} suffix is appropriate.

I can easily come up with sentences where I would use {Dung} as something
other than a strict locative:  ghot wegh mo' Dung HoSchem.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level