tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 11 07:48:29 2000

RE: fractions

> It is common in English to call 2/3  "two over 3"
> Could we not refer to a fraction this way in Klingon?
>
> e.g..  cha' Dung jav

Dung is a noun, not a verb, so what you have written here is a noun-noun
combination.
The "area above" belongs to "two".  "two's area above".  This would make
"two" the denominator.

The same continues when you attach jav (which is 6, not 3) to the noun Dung.
"the area above's six", "six of the area above".

So [cha' Dung jav] would be a noun group about 6. Which six?  The 6 of the
area above of 2.

We have the word for decimal ( vI' ).  Just use that (until we hear more
from Maltz.)

DloraH

Back to archive top level