tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 11 03:22:33 2000

RE: KLBC: wej jaj mu'mey vIlo':

jatlh tuv'el:

> KLBC: wej jaj mu'mey vIlo':
> "I use three words of the day:"

maj.

> monglIj charqu'mo' Do'Ha'.
> "How unfortunate that your neck is so slimy."

Note that this literally means "Because of your very slimy neck, it is
unfortunate."

Depending on what you think is more clear, you could reword this as:
{Do'Ha' charqu' monglIj} "Unfortunately, your neck is very slimy"

> juHmajDaq vI'ghro' Qupqu' wIghaj.
> "We have a kitten at home."

maj.

> maqImHa'taHvIS juHIv 'e' tIv.
> "He likes to attack us while we are not paying attention."

You mis-looked up a prefix here. {juHIv} means "You attack us". Since you
want to say "He attacks us", you want to use the prefix {nu-} instead of
{ju-}.

> pachDu'Daj jejqu'.
> "His claws are very sharp."

There's a problem with word order here. {jej} ("be sharp") is a stative verb
(that is, a verb that describes a state or condition). For these kinds of
verbs, you can add them *after* the noun, to use the verb like an adjective.
For example:
{Duj Doq} "The red ship"

If you put the verb in front of the subject, it makes a complete sentence:
{Doq Duj} "The ship is red."

So what you said in Klingon was "His very sharp claws." You need to put the
subject afterwards to make it a full sentence:
{jejqu' pachDu'Daj} "His claws are very sharp"

> pIj yaDDu'maj chop.
> "He often bites our toes."

maj.

> yaDDu'wIj chopDI' vIpuvmoH.
> "When he bites my toes, I make him fly."

maj.
nuq 'oH Sajraj pong'e'?

- taD

Back to archive top level