tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 09 10:28:28 2000

RE: KLBC: nuq (what)

Rohn said:
> I want to know if 'nuq' would be used in the following sentence:
>    What a good friend we have in Joe.
> It is not a question, just a statement.

taD:
: As you've pointed out, this is a statement, not a question. Since you aren't
: asking "What?", you aren't going to use {nuq} in the sentence.
: As far as actually translating the sentence into Klingon, first you'll have
: to look at the sentence and determine what it means.     [....]   You
: can try figuring it on your own first, and I'll give help if you need it.

Rohn is right to be suspicious of over-literal translation.  As taD hinted,
"what" often has other uses in English besides being a request for
information.  As a further hint, consider what effect "what" has in the
following (hopefully) familiar sentences, none of which are questions:

  "Oh, what a beautiful morning;
   oh, what a beautiful day."

  "My...what big teeth you have, grandmother!"

  "What a dump!" (Bette Davis)

Then see what tools we have in Klingon to achieve the same effect.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level