tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 25 06:46:24 2000

some more translations

As I have indicated on this list before, I have been translating
my e-mail signatures, which I have collected over the years.

Here are some more:

(I think Klingons will enjoy this first one.)

roj neHchugh vay', SuvrupnIS ghaH.
						-- Vegetius
						Flavius Vegetius Renatus
						_Epitoma Rei Militaris III_
The original Latin is: "Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum".
(Who desires peace should prepare for war.)

Here's another from {tera' bov tIQ}.  I'm using {ghojmoHwI''a'}
for "philosopher", but I'm not quite satisfied with this word.
I would gladly accept suggestions.  I've also broken up the
original into several smaller sentences and re-arranged them
for clarity (hopefully!).

jatlh nuv law', /nuvpu' tlhab neH lughojmoHnISlu'/.
jatlh ghojmoHwI''a'pu', /tlhab nuvpu' lughojmoHlu'pu' neH/.
nuv law' DIHarQo'.  ghojmoHwI''a'pu' DIHarnIS.
					-- Epictetus (Discourses)
We must not believe the many, who say that only free people
ought to be educated, but we should rather believe the
philosophers who say that only the educated are free.

And finally, I need a wee bit of help with this one:

The opposite of a correct statement is a false statement. The
opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
						-- Niels Bohr

I have:
{mu'tlhegh lugh ?yoymoHlu'chugh, mu'tlhegh muj moj.
'ach mu'tlhegh valqu' ?yoymoHlu'chugh, chaq latlh mu'tlhegh
valqu' moj.}

I tried various ways to say "be opposite", such as using
{-Ha'} and {pImqu'}.  I feel that {yoymoH} "to cause something
to be upside down" may be a bit too metaphoric.  Also I'm
not sure what a good way to say "profound truth" is, though
I like {mu'tlhegh valqu'} "very clever sentence (statement)",
if sentences can be said to {val} "be clever".

What's a good way to say "be opposite"?  I tried {rapHa'},
i.e. {rapHa'moH} "to make un-same", but "un-same" is not
quite the same as opposite.

--
De'vID