tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 11 14:34:38 2000

RE: ghIqtal

> De'vID:
> >> I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death
> >> your right to say it.
> >> 						-- Voltaire
> >>
> >> {vuD Dajatlhbogh vInaDHa', 'ach ?ghIqtal? vuDlIj DajatlhmeH
> >> DIb vIHub.}

SuSvaj:
> Try this:
> cha' DoSmey wIqIp, 'ach QIch DIbmeylIj vIHubchu'bej.

I like the use of the idiom for "I disapprove of what you say".
{QIch DIb} seems a bit obscure though, because we don't know if
Klingons have such concepts as "rights to (free) speech", etc.
(Probably not.)

But how about if we extend the idiom?  {DoSlIj'e' DaqIpmeH DIb}
"the right to hit *your target*".  I'm not sure if it'll be
understood, but I think it will... and I really like it!

> DloraH:
> > Read KGT p49.
> >
> > Suvchu' - fight to the death
> > etc.
> >
> > You might be able to work this in.

Maybe not {Suvchu'} "fight to the death", but the section about
{-neS} has several possibilities.  I played with {-chu'} for
a bit, but it's only used with verbs of fighting, and I'm
looking for "*defend* to the death", but {Hubchu'} doesn't seem
to have that meaning.

pagh 'utlh:
> There's also a novel use of the suffix <-neS> in KGT for just this sort
> of thing. <HubneS> works quite well for "defend to the death". You
> may not have gotten to use <ghIqtal>, but <-neS> is rare enough that
> using it should still be an exciting event, especially like this.

{HubneS} "suicide-defend" seems a bit too strong, as the
speaker (i.e. Voltaire) is not actually planning to die as part
of his defense, but is willing to die if necessary.  Maybe another
suffix will do the trick: {HubrupneS} "ready to die defending
(something)".  (Is the special meaning of {-neS} preserved if I
add additional suffixes?)

{cha' DoSmey wIqIp, 'ach DoSlIj'e' DaqIpmeH DIb vIHubrupneS.}

maj!  I really like it.  It really sounds like something that
could have been spoken by a Klingon Voltaire {volte'er}.
Into my e-mail signature file it goes.

I thank you all for your suggestions.  I am constantly impressed
by the skill of this list's participants.

--
De'vID

cha' DoSmey wIqIp, 'ach DoSlIj'e' DaqIpmeH DIb vIHubrupneS.
						-- volte'er (Klingon philosopher)