tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 10 01:29:28 2000

RE: Grammar Highlight Each Day

> jatlhHa' peHruS:
> > 'uSDu' ghaj raS = the table has legs ('uS = leg; raS = table)
> > Notice that even beings not capable of language may have body parts.

ghunchu'wI':
> Tables are not "beings" in my dictionary.  Any dictionary which states
> that they are is a dictionary I do not want anywhere near people who are
> using the term "being" while discussing Klingon grammar.

TKD is even more specific.  TKD p. 23:
"{-Du'} This suffix is used when referring to body parts of those
beings capable of language as well as of any other animal."

That pretty much rules out using {-Du'} on {raS 'uS}.  But
it does raise an interesting question.  Assuming that Klingons
refer to the props of a table using the word {'uS} "leg"
(and they might not), would the plural be {raS 'uSmey}?

Do we have any words that have been used in canon both for a
body part and something else?  For example: would I say {toQ
telDu'} but {Duj telmey}?  (But then I don't want to be
misunderstood as saying "Ship's wings all over the place"!)

--
De'vID