tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 10 07:51:40 2000

RE: Grammar Highlight Each Day

peHruS:

>>> 'uSDu' ghaj raS = the table has legs ('uS = leg; raS = table)
>>> Notice that even beings not capable of language may have
>> body parts.

ghunchu'wI':
>> Tables are not "beings" in my dictionary.  Any dictionary
>> which states that they are is a dictionary I do not want
>> anywhere near people who are using the term "being" while
>> discussing Klingon grammar.

De'vID:
> TKD is even more specific.  TKD p. 23:
> "{-Du'} This suffix is used when referring to body parts of
> those beings capable of language as well as of any other
> animal."
>
> That pretty much rules out using {-Du'} on {raS 'uS}.  But
> it does raise an interesting question.  Assuming that Klingons
> refer to the props of a table using the word {'uS} "leg"
> (and they might not), would the plural be {raS 'uSmey}?
>
> Do we have any words that have been used in canon both for a
> body part and something else?  For example: would I say {toQ
> telDu'} but {Duj telmey}?  (But then I don't want to be
> misunderstood as saying "Ship's wings all over the place"!)

TKD doesn't mention using <-Du'> on things like table legs, but KGT does. It
mentions a specific type of pot with elbow shaped handles, which are
referred to as <DeSqIvDu'>. It's in the section on cooking and cooking
equipment. I can't say whether this applies to <raS 'uS> (if <raS> even have
<'uS>) or in general, but perhaps Voragh can.

Okrand also mentioned in an MSN post (?) that <-Du'> is not always used on
what we might think of as body parts. The example he gave was of a trapper.
After he had collected and skinned his catch, he would refer to the pelts as
<veDDIrmey> rather than <veDDIrDu'>, which is what they would be called
while still on the animals. The process of skinning and cleaning them
dissociates them from the animal enough to remove them from the category of
body parts.

DaH mISchu''a' ghu'?

pagh 'utlh

Back to archive top level