tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 09 04:25:14 2000

Klingon Language Lessons

House Valtev in Westminster, Colorado uses a Klingon language textbook.  Each
lesson covers one or two grammar concepts in a block.  For example, the book
covers all the singular verb pronominal prefixes which refer to a
third-person object (i.e., vI-, Da-, null) in lesson one.  In lesson three
the book covers the plural pronominal prefixes which refer to a third-person
object (i.e., wI-, DI-, bo-, lu-, null).  There are tables in each lesson
with this type of content.  Local students and four internet students have
found this quite helpful.  At least two of the students have looked at the
section in TKD which gives the full chart of verb pronominal prefixes and
have asked "What do the rest of these do?"

Our class does not prohibit learning from outside the textbook.  As a matter
of fact, we encourage people to use all MO's materials and kli.org.  We
simply follow the textbook because it is laid out for teaching block by block.

Some of the vocabulary lists are too long.  But the paradigm exercises have
been reported as very helpful.  And, the main vocabulary gets used the most;
other words can be re-learned as they become more useful.  The dialogues
carry a story line.  The grammar notes take up more than a page for each
lesson.  Drills first in Klingon then translations from English into Klingon
follow.  Then, each lesson ends with role play exercises.  For example, in
lesson two we encounter numbers--students are to count everything they see,
even without knowing the Klingon word for the objects they are counting; they
are to say their card-key access numbers in Klingon when entering their
offices, etc.

peHruS

Back to archive top level