tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 06 19:25:23 2000

KLBC: rIn QoQ wanI'

cha'maH loS Hu', <California>vo' juHwIj vIghoSta'.  jIghIQ 'e' vItIvqu',
'ej tugh jIghIQqa'meH pa' vIghoS vIneH.

QoQ wanI' wIghoSpa' maqochwI' jIH je, <San Diego> HuDaq Ha'DIbaHpu'
DIleghta'.  tI'qa' vIghro' rurbogh Ha'DIbaHpu''e' DIleghpu'.  toQmey
DIleghpu' je.  tera' Ha'DIbaHpu'vam Qanqu' Huvam, 'ej ghochvam wItIvbej.

Dun QoQ wanI'.  muchwI'pu' qat bom ghom'a'.  nIteb bom vagh bompu' (wej
loD, cha' be' je) DIQoy je QoywI'pu'.  'ej bomtaHvIS Hoch, QoywI'pu' DuQ
QoQ.  QoQ wanI'vamDaq SaH <Philip Glass> je.  rInDI' QoQ wanI',
qonwI'vaD muchwI'pu'vaD malop QoywI'pu'.

jIlugh'eghmoH: <Santa Monica>Daq qaSbe' QoQ wanI'.  <Costa Mesa>Daq
qaS.  DopDaq qul yIchenmoH QobDI' ghu'!

Qapla'!
quS'a'Qob, qa'rIl puqloD

QInvam 'ay' HochDIch: <much> vIlo' 'e' vIqel, 'ach <QoQ wanI'> vImaS.
qech rurchu' mu' chang'engvam 'e' vIHar.

Here's what I have attempted to say:

Twenty-four days ago, I returned home from California.  I greatly
enjoyed my vacation, and I want to vacation there again soon.

Before we went to the concert, my friend and I saw the animals at the
San Diego Zoo.  We saw animals which resemble tika cats.  We also saw
birds of prey.  This zoo protects these Earth animals, and we certainly
enjoyed this destination.

The concert was great.  A large choir accompanied the musicians.  We
also heard five soloists (three men and two women), and while they sang,
the audience was touched by the music.  Philip Glass also attended the
concert.  As soon as the concert ended, the composer and the musicians
received great applause.

The concert occured at Costa Mesa, not Santa Monica.  Set fire on the
side when there is danger!

Success!
<my signature>

ps. I considered using <much>, but I prefer <QoQ wanI'>.  I believe that
this word pair matches the idea perfectly.

I hit a few issues while working on this message:

1.  I'm still a little unclear on the use of type 7 verb suffixes <-pu'>
and <-ta'>.  I understand that they imply that a task is completed.  But
if you are relating events, and you have explicitly stated that the
events were in the past, is it still necessary to use these suffixes?
It seems to me that in relating any past event, every verb should at
least have the <-pu'> suffix.

2.  When making animal words plural, is it appropriate to add <-pu'> or
<-mey>?  I've used <-pu'>, based on TKD pg. 22: "This suffix can be used
to indicate plurality for Klingons, ... , but not for lower animals of
any kind, ..."  I'm assuming that my use of <-pu'> for large birds and
large cats would be appropriate, since these animals seem to be "capable
of using language," as far as I understand.

3.  I have used <cha'maH loS Hu'> to indicate when this happened.  I've
seen this used before, but it doesn't seem to be a legal part of the
sentence, since it is not a clause, it's not an adverbial, and it can't
stand on its own as a sentence.  Is there a rule I can use to justify
the use of this?

Thanks,
quS'a'Qob

ps.  By the way, this is a follow-up to the message that can be found at
the following mailing list archive address:

/tlhIngan-Hol/2000/October/msg00112.html

Back to archive top level