tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 01 22:13:39 2000

Re: Grammar Highlight Each Day (gheD)

In a message dated 10/31/2000 11:04:45 PM Central Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

<< While I'm at it, I might as well mention that I'm *very* confused about the
 use of {gheD} in the subject of these notes.  It sounds like it's intended
 as a reference to the restaurant phrase {DaHjaj gheD} "catch of the day",
 but the word {gheD} just means "prey".  The "daily" idea is carried by the
 word {DaHjaj} >>

I get the idea that {gheD} is something you hunt after.  Even if you don't
get all of what you are hunting for in one day (DaHjaj gheD), you are still
attempting to capture the prey eventually.  My father has a story about a big
trout that eluded him for five years before he finally hooked it.  He spoke
of it as an "elusive prey."

BTW, when he finally cooked that fish, he was so disappointed that the fight
was over.

Xardana

Back to archive top level