tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 03 08:19:40 2000

RE: Grammar Highlight Each Day (gheD)

John Galt:

> Is there any reason to believe that acronyms in tlhIngan are
> composed from the first letters of the words?

We are somewhat hampered by the fact that we simply don't know how the
Klingon writing system works, and we probably never will, at least as long
as some form of new Star Trek is showing up on TV or movie screens.

Okrand has speculated about the writing system a bit, and has said he thinks
it would probably *NOT* be an alphabet system. Given the fixed nature of
Klingon syllables, a system where each syllable is represented by two (or
possibly even one) symbol makes a lot of sense.

Acronyms don't make much sense if a language is not written with an
alphabet.

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh:

> While I'm at it, I might as well mention that I'm *very*
> confused about the use of {gheD} in the subject of these
> notes.  It sounds like it's intended as a reference to
> the restaurant phrase {DaHjaj gheD} "catch of the day",
> but the word {gheD} just means "prey".  The "daily" idea
> is carried by the word {DaHjaj}.

jImIS je jIH, 'ach vIbuSHa'. <DaHjaj> chelnISlu'bej.

Hergh Suy:
> I believe that <gheD> is an acronym for Grammar Highlight Each Day

Cute - I didn't even notice. I think of <gheD> as a three "letter" word.
and <tlh> are all single "letters". It does make for a nice cross-language
pun, though.

pagh 'utlh

Back to archive top level