tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 01 21:59:57 2000

Re: Klingon Grammar Instruction Book

On Wed, 01 Nov 2000, you wrote:
> I think we should create / write or at least request Mr. Okrand write a
> Klingon Grammar Instruction Book that could be used in a classroom setting,
> with lessons and exercises to practice the grammar of the chapter.  While
> TKD and KGT and TKW are nice, it would be more useful to have the lessons
> within in a coherent form, such as a Klingon Textbook with K-E and E-K
> glossary in the back, with select phrases useful for each chapter.

I am starting a quick reference card to remember pefixes and suffixes.  But I
think TKD is great in the way of a grammar book.  I've taken foreign languages,
and I hate how the books always try to convey as quickly as possible a
rudimentary conversational ability.  I prefer TKD in that it's categorized into
nouns, verbs, syntax, etc.  I already know how to synthesize words into
sentences and create original ideas -- I just need the skinny on how to do that
with Klingon.  I would rather read a chapter on all the noun inflections than a
chapter on "The Weather" or "Going Shopping."  It seems that in a classroom
setting we could make each chapter a lesson and assign homework that helps
assimilate the vocab.

Does anyone agree?  Or did you have a different idea for the book.

Too bad universities won't accept Klingon for the language requirement in
degrees.  :-)

 -- valwI'na'

Back to archive top level