tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 30 14:31:23 2000

Re: Klingon Academy

ja' HomDoq:
>And still I'm saying that as long as there is no case
>where *in English* the two phrases "one who verbs object"
>and "verber of object" are different, it's no use sweating
>over how to *read* {noun verb-wI'} *if* the noun makes sense
>as an object of {verb} (otherwise it obviously has to be
>"verber of noun").

But there *are* such cases in English, and they are mirrored
well in Klingon.  {romuluSngan maghwI'} is interpreted quite
differently based on whether you consider {romuluSngan} as a
noun preceding a second noun {maghwI'} or as the object of a
verb.  Is a "romulan traitor" a romulan who betrays?  Or can
it be one who betrays romulans?  It's not a simple question.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level