tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 27 02:04:51 2000

Re: patlh

jatlh DloraH
>Now, in our military, an admiral doesn't outrank a general.  They are the
>same rank, just in different branches of service (navy/army).

The ranks in our military denote the role of the individual in that service.
The navy uses the old naval terms of rank while the ground forces use the
personalized combat ranking structure.  The federation uses the naval terms
and presumably the Klingon Defense Force would use the same due to the role
of space ships in the battles.  A general out ranks an admiral in terms of
ground combat, while an admiral out ranks the general in naval battles.
There aren't two names for the rank, there are two name for the roles played.

>So ... is Klingon rank really ['aj, Sa', totlh, ...] and MO simply had
>difficulty assigning English to them, or is the system similar to ours and
>'aj and Sa' are equal but in different divisions of the force?

Perhaps he was insisting that the military in Klingon society is singular in
nature, but a name for each rank as it applies to his role in combat.  For
example, O-6 (Marine Corps Brigadier General) would be the role of a Klingon
"Sa' ", when he gets promoted to O-7 (Marine Corps Lieutenant General), in
the Klingon military, his role in combat is consistent with that of the O-7
(Navy Rear Admiral Upper Half).  Remember ther are 4 general ranks and 4
admiral ranks (5 in army, airforce, navy in time of war).  The lead of the
space fleet is perhaps more important to the Klingons than a ground
commander.  Thus their ranking would go Admiral (O-7), General (O-6), etc.,
named for their role in combat rather then their equivalent rank number.

-veS joH \ Da' -USMC

Back to archive top level