tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 15 12:44:20 2000

Re: translation comments

> We don't have "relative to", so I tried "while orbiting".

Well, TKD has the example "dogs chase cats around canaries" or
something like that, for type 5 noun suffixes.  So I would
go for something like

/HovmajDaq tera' Quv/ "the coordinates of the Earth with
respect to our sun"

/Hovmajvo' tera' Quv/ "the coordinates of the Earth from
our sun"

This also avoids the use of /bav/.  I mean, for a
space-faring race such as the Klingons, it's obvious
that the Earth orbits the Sun.  From my limited understanding
of Klingon culture, saying something that's overly obvious
to someone might be taken as an insult! {{=)

The reason that I found the original confusing was,
what was the grammatical relationship between /Quv/
and the /bavtaHvIS/?

>jIboghDI' Hov'a'maj bavtaHvIS tera' Quv'e'
>rur qaSDI' qoSwIj Hov'a'maj bavtaHvIS tera' Quv'e'.

How does /Hov'a'maj bavtaHvIS tera' Quv'e'/ parse?

If I read it as /{Hov'a'maj bavtaHvIS tera'} Quv'e'/,
the part in {brackets} is a sentence, so what function
is /Quv/ serving relative to it?  If I read it as
/Hov'a'maj bavtaHvIS {tera' Quv'e'}/, well, it's not
the coordinates that are orbiting our sun, it's the
Earth that's orbiting the Sun, and you are talking
about the Earth's coordinates.  So (it seems to me)
not quite right either.

I mean, I understood you just fine, but it seems
ungrammatical to me.  Maybe a grammarian could
comment on this.

--
De'vID

--