tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 03 22:06:47 2000

Re: Klingon Academy

ja' Voragh:
>...Nouns don't take objects in Klingon; only verbs do.

That was the topic of the great {chargh-} vs. {ghunchu'-} _{-wI'}_
debate, which I lost after a heroic battle. :-)

>Our obsession
>about transitivity on this listserv probably confuses a lot of beginners.
>Don't worry about whether or not a particular verb can take an object when
>forming a derived {-wI'} noun.

One of our canon examples is {wIch ja'wI'pu'}, which makes no sense if
interpreted with {wIch} being the object of {ja'}.  [Skybox S8, Bat'telh,
Klingon Sword of Honor]

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level