tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 26 20:00:12 2000

Re: KLBC: building floors

ja' charghwI':
>I felt certain I remembered Okrand explaining that in a
>multi-story building, {rav} refers to the basement floor
>and the stories are refered to with {tlhoy' SaS}
>followed by the number used to refer to the various floors,
>decks, stories or whatever you want to call them.
>Meanwhile, I don't remember where. I just went back to
>check HolQeD and there is no such explanation.

I don't recall an explanation like that.  There was perhaps some
speculation based on the fact that the first {tlhoy' SaS} separates
the lowest level from the next-lowest level, but nothing remotely
"official" is in any of my records.

I'm going to use {choQ} and whatever local numbering scheme happens
to be the custom for what I'm talking about.  If my hotel room is
on the fourth floor, I'll tell people {choQ loSDaq 'oHtaH pa'wIj}.
I'm not going to worry about whether the hotel starts counting from
the ground floor or the floor above it.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level