tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 20 20:49:17 2000

Re: KLBC: building floors

I felt certain I remembered Okrand explaining that in a
multi-story building, {rav} refers to the basement floor
and the stories are refered to with {tlhoy' SaS}
followed by the number used to refer to the various floors,
decks, stories or whatever you want to call them.
Meanwhile, I don't remember where. I just went back to
check HolQeD and there is no such explanation.

The thing is, I remember details of it, like that in a
multi-story building with no basement, {tlhoy' SaS wa'}
refers to the SECOND story, while the ground floor is
{rav}. The numbers always start with the lowest basement
being {rav} and others counted upwards from there, rather
than count, as we do, starting at ground level.

Actually, this would greatly simplify things at the old UVa
hospital, since the buildings have grown together so much
that you walk into the ground floor, walk down a hall and
look out a fourth floor window. It's a bit hilly here, you
see...

Anyway, I guess I must be having a false memory, since no
one shares it and I can't find the reference anywhere.

charghwI'

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000 18:28:36 -0500 David Trimboli
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Just a quick question, because I'm feeling too lazy to search through all of
> KGT: would the word /patlh/ "level, layer, standing" work for "story" or
> "floor"?
>
> SuStel
> Stardate 219.0

Back to archive top level