tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 23 03:46:37 2000

a bunch of grammar questions: even if, in fact...

Though this post is a bunch of grammar questions, it
might be too advanced for KLBC... So I'm asking the list
in general.

"even if, in fact"
How does one express these concepts in Klingon?

For example (the Rappin' Rabbis from "The Simpsons" =) ):
"Don't eat pork!  Not even with a fork!"

My attempt: /targh yISopQo'!  puq chonnaQ Dalo'(?chugh)/
but that would mean "Don't eat targ, if you are
using a fork", not "...*even* if...".

I could state both cases:
/targh yISopQo'!  puq chonnaQ Dalo'chugh pagh
Dalo'be'chugh/
This sounds un-Klingon, and I'm also confused
as to which conjunction I should use, whether
/pagh/ or /'ej/ or even /qoj/.

Perhaps the similarity of "if" to "even if" in
English is blinding me to a solution which
doesn't require /-chugh/?

(I tried to recast, but I didn't have a way to
say "whether" either...)

Also, how would one go about expressing "in fact",
e.g. from Bertrand Russell:
"Most people would sooner die than think;
in fact, they do so."

First, a sub-question... I can use /nuvpu'
HochHom/ for "most people", if I remember
correctly.  In which of the following spots X, Y,
and Z, should I place /nuvpu' HochHom/, /chaH/,
or // (nothing)?

/Qubpa' X Hegh Y 'e' lumaS Z.../

Should it be:
/Qubpa' nuvpu' HochHom Hegh chaH 'e' lumaS.../
/Qubpa' Hegh nuvpu' HochHom 'e' lumaS chaH.../, etc.?

(Sub-sub-question: Is /HochHom/ by itself, without
/nuvpu'/, understandable as "most people", since
/Hoch/ can mean both "all" and "everyone"?)

Then, for "in fact, they do so",

/... vaj, Qubpa' Hegh chaH/ (repeating the statement,
which isn't unusual in Klingon)

/... 'ej HochHomvaD teH mu'tlheghvam/ (stating that
the statement is true... although it's unclear
that /mu'tlheghvam/ refers to /Qubpa' Hegh/ rather
than /lumaS/, so I don't like this alternative.
I was going for something like sentence-as-subject
here which didn't seem to work.)

Or something else altogether?

Thanks for your time!  tuQaHmo' Satlho'!
--
De'vID

Beam to http://www.StarTrek.com
Now featuring the Star Trek Store and
the official site for Star Trek: Insurrection.

Back to archive top level