tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 23 10:43:42 2000

RE: tlhIngan Hol in the palm of your hand

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh:
>HIja', roD patvetlh poQ CE ghunwI'.  DIlnIS.
>not Windows-vaD jIghun vIneH, 'ach muraD jaHwIj.
> loQ VB vIlo'qang.  tlhoS Windows Qatlhqu'ghach So'.

De'vID:
: Okay, that last line is throwing me. /tlhoS/ "almost", /So'/ "to hide"
: ... but I don't understand /Qatlhqu'ghach/

{Qatlhqu'ghach} "extreme/excessive difficulty, over-complicatedness"

(BTW, {Qatlh} is also a noun meaning "slime devil", which certainly describes
some peoples' opinion of Windows, Microsoft and/or Bill Gates!)

:  or the grammar of the sentence.

  tlhoS Windows Qatlhqu'ghach So'.
  "It nearly hides Windows' over-complicatedness."

The object of the first sentence becomes the subject of the second, follow-up
sentence:

  loQ VB vIlo'qang. tlhoS Windows Qatlhqu'ghach So' [VB].
  "I'm willing to use VB a little. It nearly hides Windows'
   over-complicatedness."

I'd have probably linked the two with a semicolon to emphasize the
relationship, but that's a matter of personal style.

: I'd guess "Windows' difficulties (bugs?) are virtually hidden"?

  tlhoS Windows Qatlhqu'ghach So'lu'.

: In that case, the /So'/ should be in front of "Windows", qar'a'?

Not quite:

  So' Windows Qatlhqu'ghach
  Windows' over-complicatedness hides/is hiding.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level