tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 21 15:09:56 2000

Re: Respect

It might help if you punctuated apposition with a comma.
While people may argue about whether or not to punctuate
romanized Klingon, the simple truth is, you'll be more
easily understood if you do and more easily misunderstood
if you don't.

Okrand has used apposition, though he has never
grammatically explained it, while noun-noun is both
explained and extensively used, so it is quite natural to
look at a series of nouns and expect noun-noun unless
something in context marks it so that you'd tend to think
of apposition. Redundancy is not a common feature in
Klingon.

charghwI'

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 17:46:03 -0500 David Yeung
<[email protected]> wrote:

> De'vID:
>
> charghwI':
> >Klingon's ritual's succession ritual? Succession ritual of
> >the ritual of the Klingon? qech Dajatlhqa'mo' DajatlhHa'.
>
> I was going for apposition rather than noun-noun,
> i.e. "Picard was the Arbiter of the Klingon ritual, ja'chuq".
> or "Picard was the Arbiter of the Klingon ritual, the
> Ritual of Succession".  cha'logh qech vIjatlh, 'ach
> vIjatlhHa'be' 'e' vIHar.
>
> I'll recast it if it makes you feel better.  I'll even throw
> in today's KWOTD (pong) as a bonus:
> tlhIngan tay 'oD pIqarD.  tayvamvaD "ja'chuq"
> ponglu'.
>
> --
> De'vID

Back to archive top level