tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 08 20:51:58 2000

Re: KLBC: DaHjaj mu'mey:

Likely pagh will have already answered this quite well, but
I'm home, sick, looking at posts offline and this is
something I think I can clarify.

On Sun, 05 Mar 2000 21:05:48 -0700 tuvel
<[email protected]> wrote:

> ja' pagh:

> > jang tuv'el. jatlh:
> >
> > > OK, the second sentence here freaked me out.
> > > This is what I came up with:
> >
> > > "Don't go to the galley. You'll find the scales that coat
> > > your bat'telh there."
> >
> > Very close. The <-'e'> marks <betleH> as the head noun of the relative
> > clause, making it:
> >
> > Don't go to the galley! You'll find your betleH, which is covered in scales.
>
> OK, I see that.  I thought the realtive clause usually preceeded the noun it
> modified?  I would have written that as: pa' pIDbogh ghISDen betleHlIj'e'
> Datu'.  Would you mind explaining how you came up with that construction, and
> how you would figure it out if someone else wrote it?  I'm not questioning that
> it's correct, but I don't quite get it.

Think of a relative clause as if it were a whole sentence
unto itself with {-bogh} added to the verb. Either the
subject or the object of that sentence is the "head noun".
That head noun's position in the relative clause is normal
for a normal sentence. It preceeds the verb if it is the
direct object and it follows the verb if it is the subject.

If there is only one noun in the relative clause, that is
the head noun. If there are two nouns (both an explicit
subject and an explicit object), then you can mark the head
noun with {-'e'}, or you can just let people guess,
figuring that context will make clear which is the head
noun.

Now, ignore everything in the relative clause except for
the head noun. Pretend that the head noun just ate the rest
of the relative clause. Now, this head noun is a noun in
the main clause. Typically, it is the subject or the object
of the main clause, though we know from two canon examples
that it can also be a locative in the main sentence (though
I don't recommend it -- it gets ugly and vague very easily
if you stretch things around like this).

Place this head noun in the main clause exacly like any
noun would be placed according to its function in the
sentence. Now, fill in the rest of the relative clause just
like it was originally.

You may be confusing relative clauses with purpose clauses.
A verb with {-meH} always preceeds the noun or verb it
modifies. Relative clauses do not have any such rule.

I hope this helps.

> - tuv'el

charghwI'

Back to archive top level