tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 05 19:55:19 2000

Re: KLBC: DaHjaj mu'mey:

ja' pagh:

> >> vutpa' yIjaHQo'. pa' betleHlIj'e' pIDbogh ghISDen Datu'.
>
> jang tuv'el. jatlh:
>
> > OK, the second sentence here freaked me out.
> > This is what I came up with:
>
> > "Don't go to the galley. You'll find the scales that coat
> > your bat'telh there."
>
> Very close. The <-'e'> marks <betleH> as the head noun of the relative
> clause, making it:
>
> Don't go to the galley! You'll find your betleH, which is covered in scales.

OK, I see that.  I thought the realtive clause usually preceeded the noun it
modified?  I would have written that as: pa' pIDbogh ghISDen betleHlIj'e'
Datu'.  Would you mind explaining how you came up with that construction, and
how you would figure it out if someone else wrote it?  I'm not questioning that
it's correct, but I don't quite get it.

- tuv'el

Back to archive top level