tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 02 15:07:44 2000

Re: KLIC - My thesis project

DeghwI' SoH 'ej DeghwI' jIHbe'. ngoDmey vISovbe'
Daghojba'ta' 'ach loQ chomISmoH. qayajchoH vIneH.

You are a pilot and I am not. You have been trained in
areas I have not, but you confuse me some. I want to
understand you better.

On Thu, 02 Mar 2000 12:34:27 -0800 Qov <[email protected]>
wrote:
> > >DaH yIqaD'egh.  Duj *attitude* tIDel yInID!
> > >
> > >=Now take on a challenge.  Try to describe vessel attutudes.
>
> > jonwI' jIHmo' 'ej chIjwI' jIHbe'mo', "attitude" vIyajchu'be'.
> > "pitch", "yaw" je vIyaj neH. =)
>
> chungtaHvIS Duj (choHtaHvIS 'et lurgh, tel lurgh joq), "pitch" "yaw" "roll"
> je DIqel.
> SaSbe'taHvIS Duj, "attitude" wIqel.
> qechmey pIm bIH.
>
> =When the vessel accelerates (when the direction of the nose or of the
> wings changes), we consider roll, pitch and yaw.
> =When the vessel is not horizontal, we consider the attitude.
> =They are separate concepts.

chungtaHvIS Duj, Duj Do wIqel 'e' vIpIH. lurghmaj wIjaHbogh
ghor chuq wISeHbogh joq DIchoH wIneHchugh 'utbej 'et lurgh
tel lurgh joq 'e' vIpIH. chay' jIQagh?

I expect that while a ship accellerates, we consider the
ships velocity. [As an aside, I know that physicists
consider "velocity" and "speed" to be completely different
concepts. "Speed" is a monodimensional measurement; a mere
number. "Velocity" is a vector that has both speed and
direction. The latter may be measured in either two or
three dimensions, depending upon the model at hand. Is this
true for aviators as well? If so, then velocity would be
the speed and actual direction of travel (which may not be
the direction the craft is pointing, as anyone who has
ever crossed controls (aerolons cranked to the left,
rudder cranked to the right) will testify).] If we want to
change our direction or altitude, I expect that the nose
and wing direction is essential. What am I misunderstanding?

> chaq vIDellaH:
> bank attitude - SaSbe'taHvIS telmey
> roll - SaSchoHtaHvIS telmey

*bank attitude* juvmeH tel lurgh juvlu', qar'a'?

=In order to measure the bank attitude, the wing's angle is
measured, yes?

*roll* qellu'DI' tel vanglI'ghach qellu'. qaS choH 'ar? tel
lurgh choH Do juvnISlu'. chung'a' lurgh?

When one considers "roll", one considers the current action
of the wing. How much change is happening? One must measure
the velocity of the change in the wing's direction. Does
the direction accellerate?

SaSbe'chugh tel 'ach choHbe' tel lurgh, choHtaH muD Duj
lurgh. choHlI'chugh tel lurgh, chung muD Duj lurgh choH.
bIyepbe'chugh pumchu' muD Duj.

if the wing is not horizontal but the plane does not roll,
the plane's direction continuously changes. If the plane
rolls, the plane's directional change accellerates. If you
are not careful, the plane plummets.

> pitch attitude - SaSbe'ghach, 'et peplu'pu'/'o' peplu'pu'
> pitch movement - SaSchoHtaHvIS 'et 'o' je

pagh 'oHlaH'a' *pitch attitude*? *pitch attitude*
qellu'meH qatlh SaSbe'nIS tel? 'et 'et DoS je rarbogh
tlheghHey'e' lurgh juvlu'. SaSchugh pagh 'oH *pitch
attitude*. bIngDaq DoSvam tu'lu'chugh vaj taH muD Duj
'ej ghIrlI' muD Duj. DungDaq DoSvam tu'lu'chugh Sal muD Duj.

Can't the pitch attitude be zero? Why does does the wing
have to be not horizontal for us to consider pitch
attitude? The angle of the line connecting the nose and the
nose's target must be measured. If it is level, the pitch
attitude is zero. If this target is below, then the plane
is at a negative angle (heh, heh) and it is descending.
[Hmmm. Does that mean that ghIrlI' magazines cause one to
descend?] If the target is above, the plane ascends [unless
it stalls, but that's another topic].

> yaw - tlhegh chongDaq tlhe'taHvIS

pIm'a' muD Duj lurgh muD Duj DoStlhegh lurgh. lurghmeyvam
yIjuv. [I really want to say {pIm 'ar?}, but I know I
can't.]

=Is the direction of the plane's travel different from the
direction the nose is pointing? Measure these directions.

DaH jImev 'ej jImej. latlh Qu' vIta'nIS.

I'm quitting now. I have other stuff to do.

charghwI'

> =Maybe I can describe them.
> bank attitude - while the wings are not level
> roll - while the horizontality of the wings changes
> pitch attitude - nonhorizontality, raised nose/rasied tail
> pitch movement - while the horizontalness of the nose and tail changes
> yaw - turning around a vertical line
>
> wej qechmeyvetlh qelchu'mo' tlhIngan Hol, Qatlh Qu'.  mujoy'taH mu'
> /lolSeHcha/.  vIlagh vIneH, 'ach Hat.
>
> =As Klingon doesn't yet take these ideas into full account, the task is
> hard. The word "lolSeHcha" tortures me on an ongoing basis.  I want to
> disassemble it, but it's illegal.
>
> jInmollIjvaD, qaStaHvIS rep bID *helicopter* DapuvmoH 'e' vIchup.  ghaytan
> loSmaH *dollar*mey DaDIlnIS.  muD verghlIjDaq yItlhob.
>
> =For your project, I suggest you take a half hour helicopter 'fam flight.'
> It will likely cost you $40.  Ask at your local "airport."
>
> [Will someone please tell me in what language reversing the order of the
> number and the countable conveys the idea of "approximate."  It's bugging
> me.]

Back to archive top level