tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 02 10:35:29 2000

Re: Klingon WOTD: no' DIr (n)

On Wed, 01 Mar 2000 12:30:34 -0600 Steven Boozer
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Holtej wrote:
>
> : Klingon word:   no' DIr
> : Definition:     ancestor hanging
> :
> : Additional Notes:
> : KCD (decoration, not ritual).  Also in KGT.
>
> KCD DaQujtaHvIS chaq tay 'oH 'e' DaSov'a'? <mon>
> =Did you think that this might have been a ritual when you played KCD? <g>
>
> I can see it now: posthumous discommendation.  After being exhumed, the corpses
> of a House's disgraced ancestors are ritually hung from a gibbet or meat hook
> in a torch-lit Ascension Chamber, no doubt after much poking with painstiks by
> all present to demonstrate disapproval of their dishonorable acts.  Light
> refreshments (bloodwine and heart of targ) are then served in the parlor.
> wejpuH!

jaS jIHarpu'. HeSchugh vavwI' SoSwI' vavnI'wI' SoSnI'wI'
joq 'ej lujonlu', bIjmeH mongDaq tlhegh'a' baghlu' 'ej
HoHmeH HeSwI'pu' lupummoHlu'. vaj no'wI' lumoj HeSwI'pu'.
DIrchaj teqlu' 'ej DIrDaq wanI' ghItlhlu'. jIqawmeH
tlhoy'Daq DIrvam HuSlu'. When someone who doesn't speak
Klingon pointed at the skin and asked what it was, the
DIvI' Hol reply referred to the event (the hanging of
ancestors), but the visitor then touched the artifact and
asked what its Klingon name was, so the Klingon explained
that it was no' DIr.

It is most unfortunate when researchers miscommunicate with
the natives while writing reference texts...

> --
> Voragh
> Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

charghwI'