tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 02 01:30:18 2000

Re: KLIC - My thesis project

jIjatlh:
>>'etlhmey SeH De'wI'.  SeHchu'meH  De'wI' vIghun.  vIghunHa'chugh, pum jan.
>> Qatlhqu' Qu'wIj.
>>= I have the difficult task of programming a computer to control the blades
>>so that the device doesn't fall.

ghel ghunchu'wI':
>nechlaHmeH DujHeyvam Daghun'a'?
>
>= Do you also program it to move from side to side?

jIQIj ('e' vInID).  mo'HeyDaq *helicopter-vam tu'lu'.  jan
botlhDaq yorDaq jan naQ je rar "potentiometer".  "pitch"
juvlu'taHvIS "pot"vam lo'lu'.  naQ mo'qoq je rar latlh "pot".
"yaw" juv "pot"vam.  ("voltage"'e' juv "pot"mey.)
= I will (try to) explain.  The helicopter is in a cage-like
contraption.  In the middle top part of the helicopter,
there is a potentiometer connected to a shaft.  This pot
is used to measure pitch.  Another pot connects the shaft
to the so-called cage.  This one measures yaw.  (The pots
actually measure voltage.)

(vIDeltaHvIS,  mu'meywIj vInapchoHmoHqu'.)
= My description is very simplified.
[Of course the pots don't hold the joints together, there
is a mechanical joint and the pot measures how far
it is turned.  But how to describe this in Klingon is beyond
me at the moment.]

"pot"mey De'wI' rar 'ul 'ochmey.  cha'  "motor"mey
SeHmeH De'wI', "voltage"'e' SeH.  "voltage"mey mugh
De'wI', mI'mey nob.   vaj "SeHbogh chut" vI'ogh,
'ej De'wI' vIghunnIS.
= The pots are connected to the computer by wires
[actually, through a data acquisition card].  The computer
controls two motors, by controlling the voltage.  The
computer translates voltages to numbers.  I need to
program the computer with a "control law" which I
devise.

cha' mI'mey bIH De'wI' "input"'e'.  "pitch angle",
"yaw angle" je nob De'wI' lo'wI'.  lurghvam He
nab De'wI', mI'mey SIm De'wI' 'ej "motor"mey ra'.
vaj, vang *helicopter.
= The user of the computer program enters two
inputs, the pitch angle and the yaw angle.  The
program calculates the commands needed and
sends them to the motors.  The helicopter
then does as instructed.

janvam vI"be stabilized"moHnIS.  Qatlhqu' Qu'vam
jay'!!!
= I need to stabilize the helicopter.  This is much more
difficult than it sounds.

mo' *helicopter je lurarlu'mo',
nechlaHbe' *helicopter-vam.   'ach nechlaHlaw'.
"pitch angle", "yaw angle" je nobnIS neH lo'wI'.
mo' jan lurarlu'be'chugh, nechbej jan.
= Because the helicopter is attached to a cage,
it cannot actually move sideways.  But it sort of
can.  The user merely needs to give the [proper]
pitch and yaw angles.  If it wasn't attached to the
cage, it would certainly fly sideways.

[KLIC off - I hope that answers your question. =)
Phew... this is good practice. btw I have made assumptions
about certain words, what is the subject/object of
certain verbs, etc.  Please feel free, *anyone*, to
correct me/suggest alternatives.  'oy' vISIQvIpbe'qu'. - KLIC on]

>"Helicopter" DaDelchu'ta'.  Dochvam mughmeH tlhIngan Hol mu' vISovbe'.
>Do'Ha' qub "vehicle" mu'mey.  maqar wIneHchugh, logh Duj neH DIqellaH.
>
>= You've described a helicopter well.  I don't know a Klingon word for it.
>= Words for vehicles are unfortunately rare.  We can talk accurately only
>= about spacecraft.

Do'Ha'.
= Too bad.

'ach jabbI'IDvamvaD QIn vIchuHtaHvIS, "janvam" mu'mey vIlo',
yajbejqu' Hoch.
= But when I use the words "janvam" in a message I send to this
mailing list, everyone is sure to understand what I'm talking about.

--
De'vID
[Qu'vatlh!  jIQongnIS.]

Back to archive top level