tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 30 22:28:21 2000

Re: obtuse question

> [ben loDnal]

jIjatlh:
> >Unless there's context to the contrary, I think the natural implication
> >would be that the husband is no longer a husband.

jatlh ghunchu'wI':
> jIQoch.  <cha'vatlh ben HIq> yIqel.
>
> Saurian brandy is still Saurian brandy two hundred years later.

UNLESS THERE'S CONTEXT TO THE CONTRARY!!  Why, oh why is everything I say
taken to extremes which I didn't utter?

Two hundred year old ale isn't divorcible.  Thus, the natural implication
wouldn't be that two hundred year old ale is no longer two hundred year old
ale.

We want context.

Context!

Context!!

I'm not saying that when one puts some age on a noun, that noun is no longer
that noun.  I'm not making some general rule.   <-----KEY SENTENCE.

I'm saying that in the single case, mind you, the SINGLE CASE of speaking of
a husband or wife, and modifying the noun for husband or wife by another
noun phrase which means "X many years ago," I (me, personally, and, I think,
and this is just me thinking, most people) would tend to interpret that as a
spouse who is no longer a spouse, since otherwise you'd use a noun phrase as
a "timestamp" for the sentence, not as a modifier to the spouse.

In any case, this argument is pretty silly anyway, since /cha' ben loDnal/
would probably be generally interpreted as "two year old husband"!  Klingons
age quickly, but this is ridiculous!

Sorry for the tantrum, but I'm getting tired of people twisting what I say
into something I don't, or by missing my point entirely and arguing against
me for something I wasn't talking about anyway.  I'm sorry I can't be
clearer.  My positions are generally not directly opposed to people on the
list, but they expect them to be.  I litter my posts with careful
declarations and conditions and disclaimers, as much as I can while still
seeming polite, but they seem to be missed most of the time.  When I say,
"Hey, take a quick glance at this!" people think I'm saying "Hey!  I'm
making a declaration, and it's ground-shaking!"  /pagh vIQommoH/.  When I've
had an epiphany I'll make it quite clear.

I'm not angry at ghunchu'wI', or anyone in particular.  I just wish people
would loosen up!  I left the list a while ago to get away from the "expert"
mindset, and I've come back to gear up for the /qep'a'/, and to see what
people are saying these days.  Now I get to see what newbies to the list
see, more or less, and I understand the straightjacket they feel they're in.
Ease up on the policing.

mataHmeH maleSnIS.

SuStel
Stardate 495.6

P.S.: I really should stop writing to the list and send my ideas solely in
to HolQeD.  I've never published anything there, because I prefer to
informally discuss them and get feedback.  Maybe it's time for a change.
Lawrence would like that!  (This isn't a babyish threat to the list.  It's
an idea I've just had, and I thought it would be good to share.  Maybe that
was wrong.  I don't know.  End disclaimer.)

Back to archive top level