tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 04 20:37:19 2000

Re: [KLBC] A poem

> De'vID:
> >"May you encounter Kahless in your dreams."
> >/bInajtaHvIS qeylIS Daghomjaj./

Doq tera' loD:
>  You wouldnt belive how that helped me De'vID. I Broke that down,
> and I think that I finnaly understand how this whole object,
> verb, subject thing works.
>
> So now I have:
>
> /jInajta SoHtlhob jiDichDaqvaj./
> I hope this is "Then I will ask you in a dream".

Not quite.  Here's a hint:

/bInajtaHvIS.../
"While you dream..." (i.e. "In your dreams")
bI-  =
naj  =
-taH =
-vIS =

What do you mean by "I will ask you in a dream"?  Do you
mean "I will ask you while *I* am dreaming", or
"I will ask you while *you* are dreaming"?  They mean
slightly different things.

Also, /tlhob/ is "ask" in the sense of "request", i.e.
"asking someone to close the door".  The word for "ask"
that you want is either /ghel/ "ask (a question)" or
/yu'/ "interrogate".

And finally, I can't make heads or tails of /jIDIchDaqvaj/.
/vaj/ seems to be "then", which should go at the beginning
of the sentence as a separate word.

With any translation there is any number of ways to do it,
but I think you are aiming for something of this form:

/vaj/ + {something like /bInajtaHvIS/} + {something with /ghel/ or /yu'/}

--
De'vID