tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jun 04 21:25:17 2000

Re: KLBC: Hoch DaHjaj mu'mey vIwaH.

ja' Xardana:
>We have some specific words for play music:  Heng, pang, yach, etc.  Do you
>think one of these words is appropriate for playing a "note" of music?

These specific words are not obviously for "playing music".  They are for
manipulating various kinds of musical instruments.  I can imagine somebody
saying {yu yIHeng}, but only in the context of training a student in the
proper fingering for a particular instrument.  {pang} and {yach} (and
{rey}) don't strike me as being appropriate for a specific note.  Though I
would almost certainly understand the intent behind their being used that
way, I'd have difficulty trying to figure out the actual meaning of the
phrase.

As I said in my first response on the subject, I suspect that {much} is the
right word for playing a song, or a musical phrase, or even a single note.

-- ghunchu'wI' 'utlh

Back to archive top level