tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 27 10:47:41 2000

RE: KLBC: relative clauses again (and some un-relative-clause stuff)

jatlh Patrick Masterson:

>>> crater,
>> ngengHey chIm?
>
> Maybe...geez, doesn't this Hol maw' have any word for
> "hole"? Or even "crater" itself, that's sort of a
> space-related word...

Do'Ha'bej. That is probably something that should go on the wish list.

> Just a few more things that came up and I'll let you be...
> Would "yuQ yor" work to mean "North"? I thought of an
> expression with "Dung" but that sounds wrong.

Ah, yes. We actually have direction words now in Klingon: <'ev>, <tIng> and
<chan>. They came from a HolQeD article - Volume 8, number 4. They refer to
the area in a given direction from the speaker (if used alone), or from the
noun they're attached to if used in a noun-noun construction.

<chan> is due east, <'ev> is northwestward (about 320 degrees on an Earth
compass), and <tIng> is southwestward (about 220 degrees). North would
therefore be roughly <tIng chan>, or maybe <tIng tIng chan>.

> And can a locative or -vo' expression just stand by
> itself to indicate position?)

I'm not sure what you mean. If you want to use a locative expression like
<veng wa'DIchDaq> all by itself as a heading or something like that, then I
think it's probably fine, although <veng wa'DIch> would probably be just as
good. If you want to plop it down in the middle of a bunch of text, then
that's not so good.

> And now with the words, ret and pIq, can we do tenses
> in a sentence?

ghobe'. <ret> and <pIq> are just like <leS> and <wen> and the other relative
time words - they set up a time context for the sentence. The one difference
is that they require both a number and a unit rather than just a number.
<cha' ben> is identical to <cha' DIS ret> or <cha'maH loS jar ret>.

pagh
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level