tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 26 20:18:45 2000

RE: KLBC: relative clauses again (and some un-relative-clause stuff)

> > Oh, and I've decided to translate another X-Files episode
> > into Klingon. (Groans all around.) Are there any words or
> > phrases I could use to translate the following so I won't
> > have to put too many of my words in <>'s? I'll still
> > probably have to <> a few.
>
>loQ jIHajchoH...

jImughDI' qabbe'!...
...jIlugh'a'?

> > parasite, host (of a parasite), ammonia,
>Not even going to try.

Ah well, I'll think of something.

> > crater,
>ngengHey chIm?

Maybe...geez, doesn't this Hol maw' have any word for "hole"? Or even
"crater" itself, that's sort of a space-related word...

> > geology,
>lam QeD, nagh QeD, ghor QeD, yuQ QeD, ...

I'll use nagh Qed for now.

> > body bag,
>lom ngaSwI'
>
> > lymph node,
>bISaghlaHbe'

jISagh...
vaj "<lymph node>Du'" vIjatlh.

> > dog,
>targh is often close enough.
>
> > bubonic plague,
><bubonic> rop'a'
>
> > larva, stool (as in droppings),
>Qo'
qapIchbe'

Maybe I'll just have to rewrite the sentence that mentions stool...(it's
only one or two lines anyway.) Maybe I can use a phrase involving "luH 'eS
mej..." But nothing for larva? gharghHom Qup? ghargh ghu? (The larva in
question is the larval stage for a worm of some sort.)
> > quarantine,
>This one requires description. Something on the order of <nuvpu'
>lungejlu'bogh luSevlu'> - "The infected people are contained."
That'll do, I guess.

> > (test) sample,
>chovnatlh

"Specimen"...didn't even think of it...

>pagh
>Beginners' Grammarain

qatlho' choQaHpu'mo'.
Just a few more things that came up and I'll let you be...
Would "yuQ yor" work to mean "North"? I thought of an expression with "Dung"
but that sounds wrong. And can a locative or -vo' expression just stand by
itself to indicate position?)

And now with the words, ret and pIq, can we do tenses in a sentence?