tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 27 12:30:07 2000

RE: KLBC: relative clauses again (and some un-relative-clause stu ff)

>jatlh Patrick Masterson:

> >> ngengHey chIm?
> >
> > Maybe...geez, doesn't this Hol maw' have any word for
> > "hole"? Or even "crater" itself, that's sort of a
> > space-related word...
>
>Do'Ha'bej. That is probably something that should go on the wish list.
>
> > Just a few more things that came up and I'll let you be...
> > Would "yuQ yor" work to mean "North"? I thought of an
> > expression with "Dung" but that sounds wrong.
>
>Ah, yes. We actually have direction words now in Klingon: <'ev>, <tIng> and
><chan>. They came from a HolQeD article - Volume 8, number 4. They refer to
>the area in a given direction from the speaker (if used alone), or from the
>noun they're attached to if used in a noun-noun construction.
>
><chan> is due east, <'ev> is northwestward (about 320 degrees on an Earth
>compass), and <tIng> is southwestward (about 220 degrees). North would
>therefore be roughly <tIng chan>, or maybe <tIng tIng chan>.

tIng chan...east of southwest...wouldn't that be south? And how would one
say "west"? tIng 'ev chan? Southwest of northwest of east? (And why is this
so complicated?)

> > And can a locative or -vo' expression just stand by
> > itself to indicate position?)
>
>I'm not sure what you mean. If you want to use a locative expression like
><veng wa'DIchDaq> all by itself as a heading or something like that, then I
>think it's probably fine, although <veng wa'DIch> would probably be just as
>good. If you want to plop it down in the middle of a bunch of text, then
>that's not so good.
>
> > And now with the words, ret and pIq, can we do tenses
> > in a sentence?
>
>ghobe'. <ret> and <pIq> are just like <leS> and <wen> and the other
>relative
>time words - they set up a time context for the sentence. The one
>difference
>is that they require both a number and a unit rather than just a number.
><cha' ben> is identical to <cha' DIS ret> or <cha'maH loS jar ret>.
So they're just there to make new "ago" and "from now" phrases. Great...now
I have to rewrite the whole sentence. Is there a word for "be last, most
recent"? The line I used "ret" in began "It's been a couple of frustrating
months but...", and I used "ret qaStaHvIS jarmey puS, mamogh; 'ach..." i.e.
"In the past, while a few months occured, we were frustrated, but..." I
could probably just drop the ret, though, couldn't I? Or just replace it
with qen?
(And I know the words for month and year and stuff are for Klingon times,
not Earth, but I decided to use 'em anyway.)