tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 26 07:23:56 2000

KLBC: question about /neH/ "merely"

If I wanted to say, "The man is merely a merchant", should it be:

1) /Suy ghaH neH loD'e'/ or
2) /Suy neH ghaH loD'e'/ ?

I am basing #1 on the rule (TKD 5.4), that
"Unlike the other adverbials, neH follows the verb which it modifies.
The semantic effect is one of trivializing the action."
Since /ghaH/ is acting like a verb here, I figured it would
follow the /ghaH/.  However, does it make sense to trivialize the
act of being?

Option #2 is based on the following rule (TKD 5.4 also), that
"Also unlike the other adverbials, neH can follow a noun.  In such
cases, it means only, alone."
However, I am not saying that the man is only a merchant, as
opposed to being, say, both a merchant and a doctor.  I am saying
that he's merely a merchant.  From the description in TKD it
doesn't sound like the use of /neH/ after a noun has a
trivializing effect the way it works on verbs, though.

Which one is right/better?

--
De'vID