tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jul 16 10:23:09 2000

Re: KLBC: question about /neH/ "merely"

De'vID asked:

: If I wanted to say, "The man is merely a merchant", should it be:
:    1) /Suy ghaH neH loD'e'/ or
:    2) /Suy neH ghaH loD'e'/ ?

I'll let BG pagh discuss the grammar, but in the meantime here are some
examples of how Okrand has used {neH}:

: I am basing #1 on the rule (TKD 5.4), that
: "Unlike the other adverbials, neH follows the verb which it modifies.
: The semantic effect is one of trivializing the action."

  qama' vIqIppu' neH
  I merely hit the prisoner. (TKD 5.4)

  Duj yIQotlh neH
  Just disable the ship! (TKD 5.4)

: Option #2 is based on the following rule (TKD 5.4 also), that
: "Also unlike the other adverbials, neH can follow a noun.  In such
: cases, it means only, alone."

  yaS neH
  only the officer, the officer alone (TKD 5.4)

  jonta' neH
  only the engine (TKD 5.4)

Other examples which may be helpful (I'll let you sort them as to type):

  matHa', DoS jonta' neH.
  Gunner: target engine only. ST3

  baHwI', DoS yIbuS! QuQ neH. yaj'a'?
  Gunner: Target engine only - Understood? ST3

  yIvbeHlIj neH DapoSmoH vIneH.
  The only thing I want you to open is your blouse. ST5 (MO notes)

  Hagh qoHpu' neH HeghtaHvIS SuvwI'pu'.
  Only fools laugh while warriors die. PK

  qo'mey Sar charghtaHvIS chaH Dat tlhIngan may'Duj luleghDI' neH qIb
   nganpu' buQpu' may'Duj 'ej ghIjpu' 'oH. nIteb ghIjpu' je Deghvam
  this symbol grew to become as feared throughout the galaxy as the
   menacing profiles of their battlecruisers. SP1

  not qoHpu''e' neH ghIjlu'
  Only fools have no fear. TKW

  meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH
  Only a fool fights in a burning house. TKW

  Suvlu'taHvIS yapbe' HoS neH
  Brute strength is not the most important asset in a fight. TKW

  'ang'eghQo' quv Hutlhbogh jagh neH ghobtaHvIS ghaH
  Only an enemy without honor refuses to show himself in battle. TKW

  wa' DoS neH yIbuS
  Focus on but one target. TKW

  HIvbe' qoHpu' neH
  Only fools don't attack. TKW

  Hegh neH chav qoH
  A fool's only achievement is death. TKW

  yIQeqQo' neH. DoS yIqIp
  Don't just aim; hit the target! TKW

  roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH.
  [Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply "The Homeworld." S27

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level