tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 12 21:59:15 2000

RE: qep'a' SoQmey

Good topics. I think the third one has an easy answer, and the first one is
probably a non-issue, but worthy of confirmation anyway. The answer to the
second one would really help us out.

I don't think these are "verb compounds". I think these are just sentences
that follow each other well.

> 2)  Relative comparison
>
> Q:   First City is 35 miles further from the Qotmagh Region than
> my home is.

I'd love to know the best way to say this. I can guess methods:

Qotmagh SepDaq rapmeH veng wa'DIch chuq juHwIj chuq je, juHwIj chuqvaD
cha'maH chorgh qelI'qam chelnISlu'.

>       The second warrior is 1½ 'uj taller than my son is.

puqloDwI' wa' 'uj bID je 'ab SuvwI' cha'DIch.

The second warrior has a height of my son and an 'uj and a half.

> 3)  Being the "most" of a subset
>
> Q:   He is the third smartest student in the class.

Any Klingon who spoke this much like a bragging Vulcan would be shot where
he stood.

This piles on a lot of uncharted territory. You label it "most" of a subset,
but you add a rating other than "most", in that this is third most. It is
hard enough to just say, "He is the third smartest student."

ghojwI' ghom'e' valmeH patlh wejDIch chav.

On the topic of the student group, he achieved the third smartness rank.

>        My daughter has the second most expensive marriage amulet in this
> village.

Any Klingon who spoke this much like a bragging Ferengi would be shot where
he stood.

> qep'a' SochDIchDaq {mu'mey chu' neHbogh tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'pu' tetlh}
> muchlu''a'?

machchugh mu'mey chu' tetlh neHlaw'bogh tlhIngan Hol jatlhwI'pu' ghaytan
tetlhvam qel Okrand. DevwI'ma' Daghongchugh ghaytan tetlhlIj buSqa'. qep'a'
javDIchDaq tlhoy tIqbej tetlhlIj. yISeH'egh. potlhmey puS yIwuq. tlhoy
yIpIHQo'.

> pa' maghom!
>
> peHruS

charghwI'