tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 07 15:22:07 2000

Re: Deixis and direction

jatlh Albert Arendsen:
>I speak German, which has, in total, 16 cases

nuqjatlh? loS "case"mey ghajlaw' "Germany"ngan Hol; "nominative"
"accusative" "dative" "genitive" je tu'lu'. loD Dotlh, be' Dotlh, Doch
Dotlh, "plural" Dotlh je Daqellaw'. vaj wa'maH jav DIp Dotlh tu'lu'.
'ach "case"mey rapbe'law' Dotlhvam. qar'a'?

jatlh SuStel:
>DaHjaj vaS'a'Daq romuluS puqvaD tlhIngan betleH nob loD.
>/tlhIngan/ = GENITIVE
>/romuluS/ = GENITIVE

Albert Arendsen:
>I'm inclined to disagree with the usage of Genitive here. The Genitive
>is the second case in German, Latin, Greek - even in Suomi which is
>totally unrelated to  Germanic and Romanic languages. The Genitive is
>used to indicate possession. /betleHwIj/ is a Genitive.

I don't know Latin, Greek, or Suomi, but I do have some familiarity with
German. {tlhIngan betleH} seems to parallel a German phrase like:
     das Bat'leth des Klingon
(I have no idea how to say "bat'leth" or "Klingon" in German, so I'm
just using the English and pretending "Bat'leth" is neuter and "Klingon"
is either masculine or neuter.)

                                        DujHoD

Back to archive top level