tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 07 19:14:59 2000

Re: Deixis and direction

ghunchu'wI' 'utlh:
>qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS
>(You would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy.)
>    - Vixis to Klaa
>
>This shows something that looks like a topic which is neither subject nor
>object, especially since a {law'/puS} doesn't quite have subjects or
>objects.

Yikes!  Can someone explain what is going on here /jay'/?!

Okay, I understand:

/SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS/ "Your are the greatest"

I can also understand the /qIbDaq/ "in the galaxy".
Now, if /SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS/ meant
"You are the greatest warrior", then I'd understand the
sentence.  But I can't see how the /SuvwI'/ is being
tacked on here.

Is /SoH/ acting as a pronoun here?  Is the /SuvwI'/ part
of /SuvwI' SoH/ "You are a warrior"?

When I read the sentence, I can get the intended meaning out
of it, but just what is going on with the grammar?  What
rule is it that the /-'e'/ is coming from, and how is
the /SuvwI'/ related to the rest of the sentence?

--
De'vID