tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 06 20:31:28 2000

RE: Honor

I wish I saw an explanation of this with a credible source, either as an
explanation from Okrand or examples given to show evidence to this effect.

I know that, for myself, I generally use whichever noun will be least
ambiguous in the sentence. I'll use {quv} when the word appears where no
verb or adjective could go and I use {batlh} where no adverbial could go.

For example, I'd say:

quv vItoy'.

bortaS poQ Qanqor batlh.

If I'd said, {batlh vItoy'}, I might have meant "I serve him honorably"
instead of "I serve honor." If I'd said {bortaS poQ Qanqor quv} I might have
meant "The honored Krankor requires vengence," instead of "Krankor's honor
requires vengence."

Other than that, I know of no difference whatsoever in the meaning of {quv}
and {batlh} as nouns.

> > Are there any differences in the meanings of <quvmoH> and <batlhmoH>?
>
> HIja'. wot 'oHbe'mo' <batlh>'e', Hatbej <batlhmoH>. 'ach mub
> <batlh moH> . .
> .

Huch luHutlh loSSaD qIDwI'pu' 'ej qIDHomqoqvam DachenmoH.

reH qIDrup qIDwI''a'.

'ej reH Suvrup qIDwI'Hom.

> pagh
> Beginners' Grammarian